Tuesday, February 07, 2006

That Sinking Feeling

I just walked by the televsion and heard some Marines have been killed by IEDs in Iraq. I didn't hear how many. My heart sank for a second. It sinks every time I hear that. My son isn't a Marine, he's in the Army. He's also not in Iraq right now. I know it's not my son, but my heart still sinks when I hear that. I have intense feelings when I see the pictures of the anarchy in the Muslim world. In my heart I know that at some point my son is going to have to be a part of dealing with that. I read a lot on the blogs of other mothers and fathers and family members of soldiers and I get the same sense from their writings. I hope y'all will correct me if I'm wrong. But I think it's that we know it could be our son or daughter. The way these people fight, it's just the luck of the draw. It could be any of them. We know how precious our children are. And we all know that they are facing horrific situations. If we could do it for them we would. If it's not my son, it's another mother's son or daugher. My heart breaks whenever I hear that. If anyone wonders why we watch the events in the Muslim world so closely, that's why. If I have to choose between the rampaging mobs of medieval religious fanatics and our sons and daughters. It's no contest.
God bless all our Soldiers.