Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Blogging Etiquette

I've still got so much to learn about blogging. There are rules and stuff for crying out loud! I didn't know that! I thought it was just a personal website kind of thing that no one but close friends and family would read. And I figured they would only read it because they felt some kind of obligation. So off I go with wonderful ignorance just blogging away. Then, as I'm reading other blogs, I start realizing that there are things that are considered eitquette in the blogging world. Link swapping for instance. I didn't know that! I kind of thought it was presumptuous for me to think someone would want a link from my little blog. Like you had to reach a certain level of respect before you are worthy to link to someone's blog. I don't know, I think like that. The other thing is leaving comments - or at least remembering where you've been. I was reading blogs last night and saw some things that were really interesting. I thought, 'I'm going to write something about that and link back to this.' But then I followed a link, intending to come back to the original post so I could follow up on it, but then followed another link. I can always hit the back button to get back to the first one. Before I knew it, I was hopelessly lost in the blog cyber world and had read at least 10 posts out of Lord only knows how many that I was going to go back to cause they were so good I wanted to comment on them and link back to them. By the time I realized I couldn't find my way back to the last interesting post I'd read, I knew it was hopeless to even think of trying to find the first 9 I wanted to revisit. I thought of starting from scratch, but couldn't remember where I had started??? So, from now on, I'm going to leave comments in the interesting blogs even if I intend to go back and link to them. Cause I probably won't ever get back there again. I really hate I can't find some of those posts I read last night! This is making my head hurt!